|
Stockholm day 3
Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 9:16 AM
- Woke up at 5.00am Helsinki time to prepare for our flight to Stockholm. Breakfast was once again yoghurt and cornflake mix - vanilla and berries. Left the hotel at 6.25am to catch the 6.40am bus. Tickets cost us €4 x 5.
- Saw the early people from all walks of life going to work in the outskirts or flying off to some place just like we are since we're on bus 615VK. - Once at the airport, we proceeded to claim our locked baggage and I panicked a bit when I couldn't find the paper with the secret code to unlock the locker... Luckily we found it in the end... And did a bit of packing... - Off we left to counter 242 to check in Norwegian air. Got seats 2A, B, C and 3A, 3B which means we were quite late in checking in and were seated right in front of the plane. - Went into the departure hall after taking some bread €7 and pastries €4 we bought the day before at the market (just remembered there was a really nice beer with 4.6% alcohol level but tasted like soft drink which costs us €4.50 at the market... Yum...) - We had to queue to get into the hall and electronic goods had to be separated out with our bags and clothes. Ko was pat down again..lolx.. - The flight took a short 50 mins and we were in stockholm before we knew it. Seats were a bit tight but it was pleasant enough for such a short flight. We often joke that this trip will burst our flight quota as we had at least 5 flights to catch throughout this trip... - First in first out and our luggage poured onto the belt soon after we arrive. The Arlanda airport gives us a real small feeling but more organized than the Helsinki one. We noticed terminal 2 was for domestic flights and arrival as well as departure was in the same gate so it was a bit chaotic at the terminal with lots of people... - We took brochures and asked for information once out of the arrival hall and changed some SEK for our road and repacked our luggage this time remembering the kettle so that we can boil some precious hot water for self consumption... No joke if you are in a cold country and have limited access to hot water as both hotel and hostel do not provide it or just provide the minimal unfit for the consumption of 5 thirsty adults. - Took a supposedly 13 mins walk to terminal 5 to lock our luggage as we are to leave from that terminal to Bergen on the 5th. The walk was no joke and I begin to appreciate our Singapore world class airport terminals... No transportation between all terminals and the signs were so misleading with long waits for the lifts. I tried to ask for directions to the lockers once with a pretty lady at the convenience store but the answer I got was a lock for luggage and all she added was I don't know.... Not even a sorry can't help! - I found people quite rude in Helsinki as they cut queues and I met a guy... A GUY who cut into my path while I was opening the door to exit a building... So much for holding up the door for my sis to exit before me... With... But otherwise the people lead their own life's while I only care about my own business. And the time I bought bus tickets... I was queuing and another guy just cut in front of me... Maybe the queue was misleading as to where it was going but I am pretty sure I looked like I was queuing.... Being the curteous singaporean, I tried not to make a fuss out of the situation and waited patiently in line but nunderneath, I was cursing like mad... Where has the gentlemanly spirit gone? - After we finally found the locker it was almost 3hrs later... F***ing orientation and we were considered smart enough to be able to find it and understand the bloody locking up process as it was unclear and irritating enough that we had to lug heavy luggages all around like a bunch of mad people... I finally solved the riddle by pushing the door to lock it.. So much for swiping my credit card so many times thinking it was impossible not being able to lock the locker. - Then was hotdog time SEK15 each for 5 of us which was almost a killing S$3... The most expensive hotdog in my entire life! - Bus ticket by fly something bus SEK415 for 5 tickets as four of us got concession tickets at SEK79 each except 1 got it at SEK99 and I am not going to say who! - Bus uncle was rude.. We tried putting our luggages int he under carriage which he agreed to at first but rush out from his drivers seat to yell at us that he didn't want luggages there... With... So there goes our first impression of Stockholm and the long bus ride of 45mins to city centre. - Walked from the central station to our hostel, city backpackers hostel, voted no 1 hostel in July 2007? I cannot remember the exact date... But checking in was smooth and I love the feel of the reception area so no complains from me... Had to wait till 2pm to get room password and clean sheets so we slacked away sort of planning our activities, boiled water, locked our luggages in the baggage room and ate some bread and peanut cake we brought and drank liang teh in the common kitchen which was lovely... Shall remember to take photos of it! - Settled down into the room and then left the hostel at 4pm to explore Stockholm - Went to the old town of archepelogo to soak in the old architecture and enjoy the fine weather. On the way, diverted routes so the 10min walk took almost an hour. We stopped by shopping and sight seeing on the way and photo taking took a while... There was this church that was absolutely stunning... You should see the photos... Finally, upon reaching the old town we roamed around to see the Swedish parliament, grand hotel from afar, palace and walked into the old streets to have a feel of things around old town. Took a rest and a bite at some random kebab place and hotdogs cost the same as in the morning SEK15 x3, cheeseburger SEK45, and added another 2 curry flavored potato balls in pita bread meny/set at SEK67 and beef burger for SEK40 - I took some van goth like phtotos and am feeling a bit artsy fartsy over it... - We then took our long walk home again... My legs are seriously going to give way prematurely only after 3 days of walking... Most walk I have done in my life! Everything is said to be within walkable distance but the walking can kill... I can say Singapore is walkable anywhere too... Cycling is another way of life here but dad didn't want to try it and insist on walking so the poor us had to follow his lead and push ourselves to finish what we started out with... - Stopped by at the supermarket to get some eggs, chocolate, milk and muesli for breakfast for the next 2 days... Costs SEK106... k realize we eat more in cold weather so I am chucking my slimming plans away... Lolx.. Enjoying this moment is mire important.. - With breaking shoulders and tired body.. We dragged back to the hostel to find lots of people cooking in the kitchen and yacking away in the common room watching television. - All of us flopped not the bed to sleep once back and only woke up at 2.27am local time to wash our face and brush our teeth and using yokoyoko all over our bodies... Too much aching for 3 days and the early rising did take a toil on our tired bodies... - I shall sleep now... Signing off 4.13 am Stockholm time... |








